I walked in lugging 100 pounds of dirty, sopping wet laundry. I was NOT happy.
My washer (less than 1 yr old front loader…under warranty waiting for repair) croaked. It just stopped draining. It left a huge load of dripping wet back to school laundry. Sears can’t make it out to repair it until September 10th!!!! That’s a week of no laundry for a family of 5.
That’s not gonna work- I do laundry every day. So I headed for the first trip to the laundro-mat before the clothes turned musty. I went straight for the biggest machines I could find. I figured I ‘d do fewer loads and get out of there asap. Maybe, maybe not.
A few things I learned at the laundro-mat:
1) Only the pinkest- laciest or racey-est underwear will fall on the floor at the laundromat. The granny panties and size xl boxer briefs will stay neatly in the basket.
2) The washing machines are just tall enough to make you stand on a stool to reach the detergent dispenser- this is to make you fall down in public. Don’t fall for it- stand your ground. Use the normal washers- they’re safer, although- you will have to do more loads. It’s worth it- trust me.
3) The dryers lie. The sign says .25 what it doesn’t tell you is that it will cost you 1000 x .25 to dry your towels. (well- something like that) about the cost of a new washer- I think.
4) Bring dryer sheets- I never did figure out how to add fabric softner.
5) Men at laundro-mats are there for more than laundering purposes. Wear your i-pod and look pmsy- alternatively- wave your husband’s huge boxer-briefs like a flag- they’ll look at you funny- but they’ll leave you be.
6) There are lots of lonely elderly people at the laundro-mat- smile and talk to them- even if they can’t hear you over the noise– at least they get to see a smiling friendly face.
7) Bring fluids- the heat will kill you.
I think I’ll see if calling Sears as a crying lunatic mother of three who’s leaving for vacation in a few days will get them here faster. If not- I’m thinking about picketing. Or suing. Or I suppose- heading back to the laundro-mat- at least now I’ll be prepared.
DO you have any laundro-mat tips or tricks? Put em in the comments;)
Lord know’s I need all the help I can get.