(Wins a “bloggy” for longest title, evah!) Yesterday was a day off and a day, out. My SIL and I went to the Ann Arbor Library to see Stephanie Pearl McPhee- The Yarn Harlot. I went over the summer- (Aug I think) and it had been packed- they had to hook up a video feed to another room. I wanted to arrive early to make sure were “in the main room.”

Boy, we were early. Arrived around 1. Event was scheduled for 2. Early- as opposed to my typical tardiness- I should have known there’d be “issues.” Knitters were everywhere. Yarn was flying- the hand-dyed yarn fumes were intoxicating. It must have been medicating as well- because barely a knitter batted an eye when told the poor “Harlot” had been delayed. A fog had rolled in and her flight turned back- to Chicago. We’d have to wait.

Out came the knitting and around turned the chairs. The knitting community, communed.

A Knitting circle of rather eclectic make-up, was born. I’ve never been to a knitting group- but I’d like to go now! It was great! I met: Dana, Beth, (Whom we could not allow to walk to her car in the rain…and tolerated my dirty car- graciously) Kim ,Khadijah…and a bunch of others!

We sat- we chat and we knit. New skills were acquired- socks on 2 circs demonstrated. FO’s were petted and fawned over. (Some, while still on the wearer- including my blue “Central Park Hoodie”) Yarns were fondled, some were openly coveted. I tried to slip Kat’s in progress- hot-pink “Simple Knitted bodice” into my bag–until other knitters, kindly intervened. (Sorry for trying to steal- I’m not usually a stealer- but it WAS my size- AND PINK)

I “Cast-Off” my black “Something Red Sweater” while we waited. It didn’t take much cajoling to get me to try it on. To my surprise- and delight- I (my knit) was literally cheered for;)

I highly recommend casting off at a “Cast Off” event- or Knitting Circle- completed knitting- met with cheers is all the cozier and lovelier! (Will post more pics after it’s ends are woven and it’s blocked;)

yarn harlot in michigan 007

And the Harlot- arrived- running in like a blur. We were just glad she’d made it. Her talk was delightful and insightful. She’s a class act. Her authenticity, humility, energy and humor are infectious.

We didn’t wait while the ever gracious, Harlot signed loads of books. We were starving- for food and yarn. We went to the closest knit shop- Busy Hands. A great little shop! I picked up a fused glass button for my new sweater. Some Malabrigo Laceweight and some of the new Soft Sea Wool by Reynolds. Then we went to dinner! (During the course of the day, We covered all the comfort bases- people- knitting, shopping and Cracker Barrel.)

yarn harlot in michigan 005

(Normally I’d apologize for a blurry pic- but with the day The Harlot had, had- it’s entierly possible that she was actually blurry- not the camera;)
In other news- my Sp 10 has already sent me a package! If I’m quick I should be able to use a new felted Easter Basket this year! THNX SP10! I love it!

yarn harlot in michigan 008

Michigan Knitters- You’re GREAT!

12 thoughts on “Anticipation, is makin’ me wait….But, the wait was great! The Yarn Harlot arrives and Doula’s the arrival of an impromptu knit circle!

1. Kat says:

LOL – How about if I send you the pattern and you and I can each knit one! I bought my LYS out of hot pink Ultra Alpaca – maybe your’s has a stash of it. Send me your addy via email and I will get that pattern out to you. It was so awesome meeting you yesterday – I loved your CPH and you have inspired me to go out and get the pattern for Wendy’s Simply Red – what a great looking sweater!! I love that you cast off during the wait for the Harlot! Knit on, sister! By the way, I loved your glasses as well!

2. Beth says:

Yesterday was just way too fun. Thanks again for the lift back to my car, it was great getting to hang out with you and your SIL. Let me know if you decide to make the trip out to Threadbear sometime, I love seeing the expression on someone’s face the first time they walk into that store πŸ™‚

3. Amby says:

It’s great being a knitter…”You mean we have to sit here in this hot stuffy room elbow-to-elbow for an undetermined number of hours? AWESOME!” πŸ™‚

4. Tracey, in MI says:

Kat- thnx for the offer— ummm I downloaded it when I got home;) I have 2 skeins of the tilli thomas rock star….in a light gray- I think I’ll go with some kind of silk/silk blend to coordinate;) stay tuned- it’s up after I finish my second CPH— this one’s in raspberry Cascade sierra!;)

Thnx for the glasses comment- got em at lenscrafters. Part of the “vogue” line. If you gotta wear them all the time- they might as well be cute;)

We all had a great time- was cool meeting so many knitters!

5. Tracey, in MI says:

Beth- I’ll e-mail as soon as I get a chance to plan another day out- and go to thread bear….right now I’m catching up on the laundry and messes my amily made while I was gone….sheesh- you’d think I was gone for a month- not 8 hours!

6. Anonymous says:

Hey Tracey,

Good Eye lol!! Yes, the cat buttons are from Busy Hands!!…My sister’s are ‘newish’ to the blog world – we wish that we knew some of you Michigan bloggers so we could have ‘met some’ when we went to see the Harlot! We are over in Canada – Windsor.
    Thanks for dropping by our blog!! and keep coming – the contest is going til April 20th – lol – but then I guess you have your own book!

take care
    Kim

7. Alison says:

Cheering for you was one of the highlites of the day! Such a fun afternoon (and who thought you could say that about waiting for someone that was 3 hours late?!)

8. LisaBe says:

sounds like a great day. my husband went to michigan and we always try to stop in ann arbor on our way to visit his parents in east lansing (we live in pittsburgh). i have a new appreciation for what a nice place it must be! now i just have to scout out the yarn shops so i won’t make a face when he wants to add *one more stop* to an already long trip πŸ™‚
    poor stephanie, but it sounds like a great crowd awaited her when she arrived!

9. Laura says:

*sniff!* Oh the power of knitters. What a great recounting of what happened at the library while Stephanie was frantically trying to get there! Congratulations on your FO at the event too – how cool. πŸ™‚

10. knitnthings says:

Sounds like fun. Knitting circles are just the best!!

11. somebunnysloveDOTcom says:

WOW! Great adventure and I am glad you shared it with us. And admitted I am jealous of your SP10 package too!
    =:8

12. emy says:

Woe, I really applaud all you gals for staying on to wait for the Harlot!