Mommy, you taste salty. Well, I hope SO!

“Salt, when dissolved in water, may disappear, but it does not cease to exist. We can be sure of its presence by tasting the water. Likewise, the indwelling Christ, though unseen, will be made evident to others from the love which He imparts to us.”~Sadhu Sundar Singh~

I was sitting on the couch, knitting away. Suddenly, my left shoulder felt funny. It felt warm. Then, just as quickly, it felt cold. Noah laughed:

“Mommy, you taste salty”.

He LICKED me.

Gross. (Another of his favorite games, is to chase me across the room threatening to lick me and gross me out. Boys. Gotta love em. πŸ˜‰ Have you ever noticed how young children touch, smell, examine and yes, TASTE everything? Every mom will tell you,” that’s how they learn. ” (It’s even how my oldest learned that “Bugs are crunchy” What you’re thinking? Yeah, he did. A Pill Bug. Nasty. )

But, it made me think. Am I? Am I salty? (Hmmm. maybe, I need to shower.; ) Back to salty, I should be.

Matthew 5:13
“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

Because of how children learn, parents (and caregivers) have a unique need for “saltiness.”
Children learn by their senses, so- the concept of a God that they can’t see or feel is hard for them to understand. If we are full of the love of God, we become concrete representations of the love of God, to our children. His love dissolved in our lives, becomes a salty-taste of Him, for the children we love.

Jesus can’t be “seen” or “touched”, but-when His love is evident in our lives, and parents are “licked” He can be “tasted”. πŸ˜‰

So the question is, Am I salty? Are you?

I’m going to spend some time with the one who fills my salt shaker…..

Dear Lord- fill my with your love, for my family my kids and those around me, make me salty with it Lord- I love you -amen!

dis day 3-5 266

7 thoughts on “Mommy, you taste salty. Well, I hope SO!

1. Sissy B. says:

My daughter used to lick me all the time when she was little…it drove me crazy :)…..thanks for revealing why. I love the image of being a salt shaker filled up by the Word. I enjoyed stopping by.

2. Laurel Wreath says:

“concrete representations “….I like that sentence. I truly believe how we react and act towards are parents lays a foundation in how we act towards God. Sure there are exceptions, but that is where the foundation begins.

Great post.

3. Amydeanne says:

I’m laughing.. I’m being licked on several occasions! Not to mention bitten as well, but that’s another issue. Fun post! I really enjoyed it!

4. Sharon says:

Fun post to read! Enjoyed your blog.

5. cathy_bythesea says:

Beautiful Tracey! and thanks for the comment πŸ™‚ I had to see what all the saltiness was all about! Yes, may be always be salty to everyone we meet πŸ™‚

6. Heather Smith says:

This is too true. I don’t have children of my own, but I fully believe that I am what I am today because of the Christ I saw in my parents. I wrote them a song for their 30th wedding anniversary a few years back. Here’s the chorus:

I saw love and compassion,
    I saw your hurt and pain,
    I saw so many emotions as my life you tried to shape.
    Of all the things I saw there, I’m glad I recognized, the light of the cross that I saw in your eyes.

7. Camy Tang says:

LOL! Your story of your son is hilarious! (kind of gross, too, but he’s a kid)

I really liked how you talked about how children are so much into their senses, and how it’s hard to explain God when he can’t be touched. That’s very insightful. It brings up ideas in me on how to try to explain God to my teens, who are past the phase of “God as a big white-haired father in the sky” and want to really know who God is. I love their inquisitive minds!

Camy